So excited that this piece is finished! 🎉 I found this armoire last month at our neighborhoods garage sale (for free!) and transformed it to fit our style. It’s a solid, very well built piece with doors & drawers that lock (which is everything these days with curious Danny 👶🏼 !). I wanted to lighten up the wood and give it a makeover. It’s a favorite to date and here are the steps we took to update the look :
- sanded the entire piece down to remove existing finish (thank you to my sister and husband for helping with this part too! It’s a large piece so this was the most time consuming part.).
- Removed all sawdust with a lint free cloth
- applyed Pre Stain wood conditioner on the wood. After it dried, i used a cloth rag to stain with the water-based wood stain (i did 2+ coats). You could use a foam brush for this step too but i lfelt i had more control and less mess over a rag
- The final step was using a high quality synthetic brush to apply the top coat with the polyurethane.
For now I styled it as a bar, but it may turn into a craft station for the girls too (we are all fighting over who gets it now!) Linking products used ✨